Ever wonder why chicken soup seems to make you feel better? Well, my good friend Quinn over at balancedandbright.blogspot.com knows a LOT about Bone Broth and it’s healing remedies, check out her spread and front page cover of Edible Magazine (sorry if it’s not there anymore, Dec 2013), also on that link read all about Sage Mountain Farms, Phil is a great individual, please donate if you can to their kick-starter and help save this farm!
Ok so back to bone broth. Maybe the simplest way to get Bone Broth into your diet is to start by making a nice crock of …..
1 whole chicken
2 carrots, cut up
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 stalk celery. diced
6 thyme sprigs
2 tsp Dry Dill
1 bunch Swiss chard or kale, shredded
6 parsley sprigs
1/2 cup peas
3 TBS chopped chives
1.This works best and safest in a crockpot. Cover the raw chicken (giblets removed) in water and 1/2 cup vinegar, let sit for 15 minutes
2. Rinse chicken, discard vinegar water
3. Roast chicken until the skin starts to brown, then place back into the crockpot and cover with pure water, and add in parsley, garlic, and thyme.
4. Simmer over low heat in the crockpot for 18 hours, skimming any foam and fat that accumulates on the surface.
3. Strain off the broth, and let the chicken carcass cool a bit to handle.
4. Remove the chicken from the bones and put the meat back into the broth.
5. In a pot on the stove with hardly any oil, saute the carrots, onions and celery, then pour those into the broth.
6. Add the chard, peas, chives, and dry dill
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The longer the mixture sits the better it tastes.
8. if you let it cool, any fat should surface to the top and be easily skimmed.
MindBodyGreen has a simplified article on the healing benefits, whats and whys on Bone Broth, check it out (link above). But follow my recipe for the best benefits and most collagen and bone marrow goodness!
Um, also our pop-up was a sell-out and was SO much fun, will be getting some great pictures back soon and will post course by course. =)